Wednesday, March 17, 2010

FORT WORTH KAREN REFUGEES

God has truly broken my heart. I met 35 Karen families last weekend, anywhere from 3 to 8 in a family. They are living in an apartment complex near the seminary in Fort Worth. They are from Burma and have been persecuted to the point that government sponsors from this country bring them here. The only problem is they have not thought through the entire situation before bringing them. Most of them do not speak English(hard to get a job when you cannot communicate), do not have any transportation, no housing etc. They come with nothing but the clothes on their backs. They are given $1000 to set up housekeeping, get an apartment etc. They are each give one plate and spoon, food stamps for 6 months (which take weeks to get). The kids have medical insurance but the adults do not. Here they are!!!!

I am trying to do 2 thing for them. I have two lists - one general and one specific of things and stuff they need. I am giving this list to all I know to try to help them get set up. I will send the lists to you if you email me for it at barbara_oden@att.net. If you can, pass them out to ANYONE you think might help. Anything given can be given through Texas Multihousing Consulting and can be tax deductable. I have receipts to give. The second thing I an going to begin doing is teaching them English. If you know anyone who might want to assist with that, let me know.

They are such sweet people. I cleaned out my closets and kitchen and took some things to them on Monday. They were eating together when I got there. They immediately gave me a chair and fixed a bowl of noodles and broth for me. They all gathered around me a took a picture. I can't begin to tell you how I felt. One lady does not even have shoes, one man asked is I could find him a medium size jacket. They need blankets to keep warm at night. I felt like I was in a foreign land.

Anyway, if you have some ideas - please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment